Alison Cain Podcast
Allison Cain can finally breathe after transplant and no more “CF boot camp?
Jerry Cahill interviews Alison Cain who is 34 years old and had a double lung
transplant at New York Presbyterian Hospital in NYC 1 ½ years ago due to
progression of cystic fibrosis. Alison grew up in Connecticut and has returned
to work teaching high school Spanish.
- Alison was diagnosed at 1 ½ years of age due to a “strange cough? and “failure
- Alison attended Fordham University in New York.
- Sports kept Alison healthy for a long time prior to transplant: “I was a
competitive swimmer from age 4 to 13 years of age. I also played soccer,
softball, and ran cross country track?
- Alison was never hospitalized for cystic fibrosis until the age of 19.
- At age 28 Alison developed CF related diabetes.
- June 16, 2004 Alison had a double lung transplant that lasted 6 hours and was
hospitalized for 10 days.
- Alison believes, after many years of battling CF, that a transplant is the
only true cure for CF and that her life is so much happier now.
- Alison’s advice: “Be compliant to therapy/med.’s and don’t give up hope.