Title: Episode #0070 Succeeding with CF in the Career World Through
Compliance with Cris Dopher
Cris Dopher, 37 years old with cystic fibrosis (CF) is enjoying his career in
the Fine Arts as a professional set/lighting and window designer for many
shows/department stores including Broadway productions. Adhering to his daily
therapies, Cris affords himself the opportunity to enjoy the financial awards of
a career, run marathons, and socialize in the game of life despite having cystic
- Cris grew up in California and Missouri, was diagnosed at age 4 due to
“failure to thrive”, and currently resides in New York.
- Cris has always been focused on goals and his first job, at age 16, was typing
a book for an author.
- “As long as I can remember I was out there in the working world… I worked at
MacDonald’s, was a receptionist for student housing in college, and worked in
tent theatre at college for hands on experience”, states Cris
- Cris has 2 bachelors degrees and 2 master’s degrees that include a Masters of
Fine Arts from New York University.
- The biggest challenge Cris faces with CF on a daily basis is TIME MANAGEMENT
but, according to Cris, “it’s all worth it!”
- “CF is background noise and it does NOT get in my way of living and enjoying
my life” states Cris.
- Cris recently ran the ING New York City Marathon in 5 hours and 50 minutes and
exercises 5 days/week.
- CBS Evening News recently did a piece on Cris: http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/11/18/eveningnews/main4615319.shtml
- Cris’ formula for success: Compliance = Success. Be rigorous about your
therapies – without your health you cannot be a good worker and enjoy life!
This “LIVING. BREATHING. SUCCEEDING.” Podcast/Vodcast series is the 7th in
a series of 12 made possible through and unrestricted educational grant from
Genentech to The Boomer Esiason Foundation.